DAR and Meadow Garden
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) was founded in 1890 with the mission of promoting historic preservation, education and patriotism. Therefore, what could better fulfill this mission than preserving the home of a signer of the declaration?
In 1900, DAR purchased Meadow Garden, home of George Walton. They subsequently placed the historic house in the care of the Georgia State Society. The women then began the hard work of preserving such a historically significant structure. The Society has maintained the home for 120 years.
On November 21, 1901, Meadow Garden opened to the public as a historic house museum. In the speeches on opening day, they celebrated this tremendous achievement:
“what had been accomplished in restoring Meadow Garden proved of what the American woman is capable.”Mrs. S. C. B. Morgan, NSDAR Vice-President General, on opening day, November 21, 1901
Since that day, Meadow Garden has been open to the public. It is one of the oldest house museums in the United States. The property is also a National Historic Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, it is a contributing property within the Augusta Canal Industrial National Register Historic District. In April 2020, the Georgia Trust honored The Georgia State Society with its “Excellence in Stewardship” award. The announcement for the award said:
“the ongoing stewardship demonstrated by the Georgia State Society Daughters of the American Revolution proves just what can happen with a little vision and many dedicated volunteers, and is a shining example of the impact American women have on our historic sites.”
Visitors to Meadow Garden are stepping into history. The continuing preservation of this historic site helps tell the story of the founding of our country. Above all, walking in the footsteps of our founders inspires generations to come!